Mental Health Resources

Posted by uninsure on October 13, 2010
Mental Health

Getting help for a mental health issue can be expensive even if you have insurance. Without insurance, mental health care can be so cost prohibitive that many don’t get the help they need even if an issue with depression, anxiety, etc prevents them from living life to their full potential. In Chicago there are a number of health centers and clinics that provide therapy and counseling to the uninsured or under insured on a sliding scale or reduced rate.

Community Health Center
Two locations-
West Town Location
2611 W. Chicago Ave.
Chicago, IL 60622
(773)395-9900

Englewood Location
641 West 63rd Street
Chicago, IL 60621
(773)994-1515
fee: Completely free for uninsured low-income patients. See here for eligibility info

Cathedral Counseling Center
50 E. Washington St., Suite 301
Chicago, IL 60602
(312)252-9500
fee: Sliding scale fees

Chicago Womens Health Center
3435 North Sheffield Avenue, Suite 206A
Chicago, IL 60657
(773)935-6126×401
fee: sliding scale ranging from $25-$90 per session. Required intake session $35

Counseling Center of Lakeview
3225 N. Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60657
(773) 549-5886
fee/insurance info: co-pays are based upon household size and income. For Medicaid recipients there is no co-pay. They bill private insurance and Medicare.

Community Counseling Centers of Chicago
4740 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60640
(773) 769-0205
fee/insurance info: Psychiatric crisis services are free of charge. They also accept Medicaid, Medicare, and most PPO insurance. They offered sliding scale fees for uninsured persons at one time, however their funding was cut and then reinstated so contact them for the most current information on sliding scale fees for the uninsured.

Northwest Mental Health Center
2354 North Milwaukee Avenue
Chicago, IL 60647
(312) 744-0993
fee: sliding scale

Tags: , , , , , ,

6 Comments to Mental Health Resources

• Can you please direct me where I can take my son for help. I took care of my dad for years until his death and he suffered from bi-polar. I see the same things in my son who is 29. He thinks everyone is trying to kill him. He does not have a job nor does he have insurance. He needs help before he harms someone or himself, or drive me crazy in the process this has been going on for over a week. I dont know what to do but try to get him some help before something really really bad happens. Thank you for your time and any help you can give me.

• uninsure says:

Hi Delthia,

I’m sorry to hear about your situation.
      Is your son willing to talk to a professional? The counseling centers listed on this page offer sliding scale therapy for those without insurance. The Community Counseling Centers of Chicago offers 24 hour psychiatric crisis services at 773.769.0205.

For very extreme situations where someone is not willing to seek help and they may be a danger to others, you can file a petition for an involuntary psychiatric evaluation and treatment. For more information on this option contact the national alliance on mental illness of greater chicago at 312-563-0445.

Of course, if you think your son is an immediate threat to himself or others you should call 911.

Hope this helps and I wish you and your son the best-

• amber says:

Hello, my mom has bipolar and she is uninsured. Unfortunately, we live in the suburbs and it is hard for us to come out to the city for appts and regular therapy. Are there any services for the uninsured in the suburbs? Please let me know. Thank you.

• uninsure says:

Hi,

I haven’t had a chance to write about it yet, but there is a new program for uninsured adults in cook county called “county care”. It is through the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, so there are multiple locations in cook county where one could get treatment. For more information including eligibility and how to apply see here:

Hope this helps!

• Jean says:

I’m uninsured and trying to find a psychologist that is free or on a sliding scale in the western suburbs (aurora, Naperville or even as far as dekalb area). I tried the aurora VNA which is free or at least very cheap and I have to wait months to be seen. I need to find a doctor I can see every week or every other week. I’m in desperate need. Does anyone have any suggestions.

• uninsure says:

Hello,

Unfortunately a long wait is pretty common at all of the community health centers. There is about a 2 month wait with County Care (countycare.com) and even longer (2-4 months) for the waitlist to see a psychologist through Community Health Center of Chicago. Because the demand is so high, many practitioners do not advertise sliding scale on their website, so you may be better off contacting them directly to see if they will work with you.